5 Ingredient Healthy, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chewy – check! Healthy – check! Quick and easy – double check! I don’t know about you, but I’m a glutton for the perfect chewy, chocolate chip cookie. I also fancy myself somewhat of a health conscious foodie. I like to know what is in my food and what is going into my family’s bodies. Insert the perfect healthy, delicious, soft, and gooey chocolate chip cookie here. This is definitely my new go to for a little pick me up or a sweet treat. Side note, my hubby had no idea that these were healthy!
– 1 cup (250g) homemade or store bought cashew butter or almond butter (I prefer cashew butter for 2 reasons, 1) it has a great carmel-y taste 2) it’s a heck of a lot cheaper to make here in NZ. You an also use a combination of the two, if like me, you have two half empty jars in the cupboard.)
– 1/2 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar (brown sugar definitely works in this recipe, but if I’m going to have sugar, I tend to choose a less processed version such as honey, agave, maple syrup or coconut sugar. Coconut sugar rocks this recipe as it tastes very similar to standard brown sugar, clocks in lower on the glycemic index and boasts an array of minerals including potassium, calcium, zinc and iron.)
– 1 egg
– 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
– 1 cup chocolate chip cookies (I love cutting up a high quality dark chocolate bar – hello Whittaker’s if you’re lucky enough to be NZ based – but you can use your favorite brand of chocolate chips. For an even healthier version, check out some of the paleo versions out there on the market).
*Optional Ingredients: feel free to chuck in 1 tsp of vanilla if you have it on hand. You can also experiment with mixing in 1/2 c of chopped nuts or dried fruit…cranberries would be delish!
1) Preheat oven to 350F (180C) and line two baking sheets with baking paper or non-stick silicone baking mats.
2) In a stand mixer or large bowl, whisk the egg until beaten and add in the cashew/almond butter. Once this is well blended, mix in the coconut sugar/ brown sugar and baking soda. Last fold in your chocolate chips.
3) Using a heaped tablespoon, scoop the dough onto the cookie sheets, and slightly flatten with the back of a spoon. If you have time, pop them into the fridge for 10 minutes, which will help them to retain their shape (and not flatten out) when you bake them.
4) Bake for 8-10 minutes depending on your oven. When you take the cookies out, they should look slightly undercooked – this is how we get that oh so perfect chewy texture.
5) Allow the cookies to cool for 10 minutes or so before transferring them to a wire rack…or be lazy like me and save a dish by letting them cool completely on the cookie sheet. Please note that the cookies continue to cook until the cookie sheet is cooled – this is totally fine, but keep this in mind as your gauge their doneness (yep…that’s a word!) when taking them out of the oven.
6) Place half of the cookies on a pretty plate to share…put the other half in a container and store in a super secret place only you can find….they are THAT good!
Gluten free chocolate chip cookie – check! Paleo chocolate chip cookie – check! Dairy free chocolate chip cookie – check! The perfect chocolate chip cookie – I sure think so! Will your kids love them? You betcha! Will your husband know they are healthy? Heck no! Add this quick and easy, 5 ingredient chocolate chip cookie recipe to your supermom powers and I’ll keep your little secret that they are healthy AND quick to make.